Home    Kenward Ave, Chester Hill   9644 1099
Facebook Schooltube Youtube Instagram  

Student Visa and Requirements

Student Visa Information and Requirements

International students who are on a student visa must abide by the student visa conditions stated on their visa.  See the information below regarding:

  • Maintaining satisfactory attendance(this includes leave, extended leave, deferral, suspension and expulsion)
  • Maintaining satisfactory academic progression
  • Having appropriate accommodation and welfare arrangements
  • Notifying your change of address
  • Adhering to the conditions of enrolment
  • Applying for permission to work
  • Maintaining Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) at all times
  • Adhering to all laws (see You and the Law below)
  • Wanting to change schools (providers)
  • Maintaining a valid student visa and extending your student visa
  • Lodging an appeal


For further information please read the Information sheet for International Students.


Student Visa Conditions and Conditions of Enrolment

Your student visa will have a number of conditions attached to it.  You must not breach any of the conditions on your visa. A list of the student visa conditions may be found on the link below.


 Satisfactory Attendance (Condition 8202)

You must maintain an attendance rate above 80%.This includes attendance at Saturday school if applicable.

Absence- all absences must be justified.  This means a medical certificate or other evidence must be provided for any absence.

What to do if you are late to school or need to leave early:

Leave during term time is not permitted except under compassionate and compelling circumstances. Travelling overseas must be done during the holiday periods only.  An international student under 18 years of age is not permitted to travel independently.  Travel during school holidays other than returning home, is only permitted with host families/guardians, relatives or on approved school excursions or trips.  Written permission from parents is required.  See the International Student Coordinator for conditions of leave.

Extended leave can only be granted under compassionate and compelling circumstances where suitable evidence has been provided.  This will involve notifying DIAC that the student's enrolment has been suspended and may affect the student visa.

Deferral of studies– Attendance will be marked from the date a student is due to commence their course unless the commencement date is deferred for approved reasons e.g. compassionate or compelling circumstances. The ISC will assess the reasons for deferral and notify the school.

Suspension or Expulsion – Suspensions of more than 5 days will involve the student being reported to DIAC.  Students should be aware that their student visa may be affected.  Students who receive a long suspension or expulsion have 20 working days to lodge an appeal.  If a student receives a suspension of 28 days or more they are required by DIAC to return home, unless special circumstances apply.


Satisfactory Academic Progression (Condition 8202)

A student will be considered to have satisfactory academic progression if, in the principal's view, there is sufficient evidence that the student has:

(a) followed the course developed or endorsed by the Board; and

(b) applied themselves with diligence and sustained effort to the set tasks and experiences provided in the course by the school; and

(c) achieved some or all of the course outcomes.

 Accommodation and Welfare Arrangements (Condition 8532)

Students under 18 years of age must have their accommodation and guardian arrangements approved by the ISC and DIAC.  You MUST live with your guardian and are not permitted to change any living or welfare arrangements without the written approval of the ISC.

Change of address (Condition 8533)

You must notify your education provider of your residential address in Australia within 7 days of arriving in Australia. You must notify your education provider of any change in your residential address within 7 days of the change.

Permission to work (Condition 8105)

You must speak to the International Student Coordinator or ISC to assess your approval to work.  If approval is granted: 

  • You cannot work more than 40 hours per fortnight when your course is in session (other than work which has been registered as a part of the course). 
  • No work limits apply during official school holiday periods (recognised periods of vacation offered by your education provider).
  • You cannot undertake work until you have commenced your course in Australia.


Overseas Student Health Cover (Condition 8501)

You must ensure that you have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) at all times during your stay in Australia.  If you need to renew your OSHC speak to the International Student Coordinator or ISC.  For more information or to make a claim on medical expenses go to http://www.medibank.com.au/client/staticpages/oshchome.aspx


You and the law

  • It is illegal to consume alcohol if you are under 18 years of age.
  • It is illegal to purchase cigarettes if you are under 18 years of age.
  • Possession and use of illegal drugs is a criminal offence.
  • For information about laws relating to children and young people visit the website:  www.lawstuff.org.au


Wanting to change schools/providers (Condition 8533 and 8516)

You are not permitted to change schools without permission.  For some changes of provider a change of visa may be required.  For more information speak to the International Student Coordinator or ISC.


Maintaining a valid student visa and extending your student visa

You must not let your student visa run out. 

To reapply for a student visa speak to your International Student Coordinator and the ISC regarding documentation required. You can apply to renew your student visa online at



Lodging an appeal

Students who have breached conditions on their visa may be issued an Intention to Report letter.  Students have 20 days to lodge an appeal to review their situation.  To lodge an appeal, see the International Student Coordinator to assist you with the process.


If you have not met the course progress requirements you may be reported to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship. You have the right to appeal against a decision to report you to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) for unsatisfactory attendance or cancellation of enrolment based on student misbehaviour. The appeal must be lodged within 20 working days of the date on the intention to report letter issued to you. Your guardian (if you are under 18) or support person (if you are over 18) must be present with you in any appeal interviews. Appeals for decisions relating to course progress in schools are dealt with in accordance with Board of Studies procedure for appeals.

When making an appeal, the student must lodge any appeal in writing. In the application the student must outline what has occurred and include any documentary evidence to support the appeal.

For advice about making an appeal, see the International Student Adviser.

The Principal will have the final decision in any internal appeal.


External appeals

You must lodge an appeal to the school that has been unsuccessful before you can lodge any external appeal.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the internal complaint or appeal process, you will be given access to the external appeals process through the NSW Ombudsman. According to the National Code 2007 the purpose of the external appeals process is to consider whether a provider has followed its policies and procedures – it is not to make a decision in place of the provider.

The student will remain enrolled whilst any appeals process is ongoing.

The international student ombudsman - http://www.oso.gov.au/making-a-complaint/

Log in
Log in
Friends and Supporters
Our latest newsletter is from June, 2018.
Cheso Values
Social Media

DEC Annual School Report Board of Studies Sentral at Home Sentral at Work School Plan Student Portal Staff Portal Search the Cheso Library
Sport Scores Upload